The DevOps Data Services Engineer shall work closely with various Technology teams to deliver reliable, scalable and serviceable data services infrastructure to the various environments that implement Altenar’s product portfolio. The role shall be highly technical and shall be responsible for research, design, implementation through automation, support and systems engineering assignments. A consistent approach to performance and measurement shall underpin all activities. Information security considerations shall also be a primary obligation of the role.
The role demands strong data organisation, data structure and data hierarchy knowledge and robust understanding of at least one of the RDMS listed below from the perspectives of theory of operation and best-practice deployment and use. Infrastructure-as-code and deployment automation skills would be a bonus. The incumbent will require strong communication and collaboration skills and the motivation to achieve results in a dynamic business environment.
The activities of a DevOps Data Services Engineer include but are not limited to:
- Continuously updating core knowledge and skills in the RDBMS of choice.
- Reviewing and responding to vendor / OSS community driven changes / updates to the RDBMS of choice in response to vulnerabilities or performance issues.
- Proactively monitoring long-term performance trends to anticipate when the limits of the current deployment will be reached and initiate capacity upgrades.
- Working with the different Technology teams to respond to events or incidents and bring them to an appropriate resolution.
- Preparing documented change plans, testing them in the sandboxed environments, deploying the changes to the approved plans and participating in post-implementation reviews where necessary.
- Proactively monitoring and testing the backup of online data and the ability to recover from partial or catastrophic failure.
- Participation in the architecture review process to ensure new initiatives or major changes to the Altenar product portfolio have data services representation at the inception phase.
- Participation in the research, test, design of new data services tools for online or warehoused data.
- Support activities related to data warehousing and business intelligence.
- Direct activity within the product software development teams.
- Participating in and reviewing code changes at the point of interface with database systems.
- Owning the best practice use of database systems.
- Contributing to technology selection and standardisation efforts.
- Carrying out scoping, estimation and task planning for assigned projects.
- Considering the aspects of performance measurement and information security and ensuring they are given due consideration in every piece of work.
- Embracing a continuous approach to innovation to ensure data services evolve to meeting the growing demands placed on it by Altenar’s business activities.
- Adopting an internal service provider approach to data services to ensure reuse of developed practices and validated designs across the product portfolio where this is suitable.
- Contributing to the automation and reproducibility of database bootstrap and configuration deployment.
- Working with the other roles that make it all work (such as the DevOps Toolchain Engineer, Infrastructure, Security Engineers and Development Team Leads) to drive the most optimal solutions.
- Work in a fast-paced, dynamic, multinational, multicultural environment.
- Creating and maintaining documentation for the solutions provided.
Experience / Skills Required:
- Work with one or more of Microsoft SQL, PostgreSQL and MySQL both in-house or through CloudSQL offerings from major public cloud providers such as Google or Amazon.
- Experience in operating one or more of these RDBMS in a high-availability environment at considerable scale and throughout various operations of the lifecycle.
- Prior direct involvement in the design, setup and configuration of such systems.
- Experience writing scripts, stored procedures, T-SQL queries.
- Experience in database infrastructure optimisation (queries, indexes, locks).
- Formal training and/or certification in one of these RDBMS is highly valued.
- Well-versed in the use of one or more general purpose, document-based database such as MongoDB or Elasticsearch.
- Prior direct or indirect involvement in datawarehouse design, tool selection and support.
- Well-versed in scripting languages relevant to these data service technologies (PowerShell, Bash, or Python).
- Familiarity or experience with Ansible is highly valued.
- Some experience in using Git version control in the context of configuration management.
- Experience and knowledge in the domain of server and storage hardware, logical volume management, IO performance and networked storage.
- Experience in the use of virtualiSation for databases.
- Experience with message queues such as NATS, RabbitMQ, Kafka.
- Generic system administration experience in heterogeneous environments (Windows / Linux with RPM package management predominantly).
- Understanding TCP/IP networking is valuable.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Strong research and validation skills.
- Strong coaching and presentation skills.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
- Graduate-level education in Computer Science, Engineering or other relevant field.
What we are responsible for:
- Providing a fantastic environment to work in.
- Supporting your personal and technical development with training opportunities.
- Providing career growth in a very interesting company with global customer base.
- Providing you with support to ensure you have a good working environment.
- Providing guidance and technical direction.
- Building a strong Technology Operations team around you to ensure we maintain agility whilst keeping compatible segregation of duties.
Altenar Ltd (Malta) – KMP-53727